Thursday, April 16, 2009

Kaylee's Cut :(

Two weeks ago I woke up to the sound of Kaylee screaming. My immediate reaction was that she was fine and just upset about something small. She tends to over react to things, so I assumed Jace took a toy of hers, or was about to throw something at her. She came into my room saying that she cut her finger. Still not that worried. Then she says, "I didn't know I wasn't supposed to cut with a knife!" Well, that got my attention. She was being little miss independent and making her own breakfast. She was trying to cut an apple with a bagel knife and cut her left index finger. When I first saw it I could see it was pretty deep, and knew we needed to get her to a doctor. What do I do? Apply pressure right? Yeah right! Like she's going to let me near her finger. I got her a clean towel for the blood, frantically got dressed, dropped the boys off next door, and rushed to the doctor's office. Of course our doctor wasn't in that day, but Dr. Poor was very good to help us. She could have used a couple of stitches, but there was no way she would hold still for that. So, the doctor told us to clean it 2-3 times a day and put neosporin and a clean bandaid on it. The first couple days were rough. She didn't want us to take the bandaid off or clean it, great! After many tears and screams we've been able to keep it clean. It's been two weeks now and it is looking really good. Hopefully it will never happen again. Later that day she was watching T.V. and they talked about safety in the kitchen. She said, "Now I know not to cut with knives." She says she can't use knives until she's a grown-up. I think she's learned her listen. Poor girl. When I was in junior high I cut my finger with a knife on my right index finger, so I know what she's been through. It was a dumb mistake, and a lesson learned. We'll both have matching scars!

No comments: